Through an established Advised Fund, the foundation will have the authority to accept contributions and through provisions of these funds will enhance programs that address community needs for perpetuity.
The Day County Community Foundation was established in 2001 to create a sustainable resource for charitable and nonprofit purposes in the Day County area at the recommendation of a local board of directors. An initial challenge was accepted by the board to raise $75,000 by 2005. In return the South Dakota Community Foundation would donate $25,000. The challenge was completed within one year.
In December of 2011, the SDCF was adding another $25,000 to the Day County Community Foundation after donors helped meet the second challenge. This time for $200,000. A third challenge successfully garnered another $50,000 in support from SDCF in December 2016 when Day County Community Foundation raised $300,000 in just a year and a half.
Total Impact on Day County
In addition to the Day County Community Foundation, there are 27 funds at the South Dakota Community Foundation working for nonprofits in Day County communities. As of January 2019, cumulative grants given back to Day County nonprofits from the DCCF and its subfunds has surpassed $192,850.
These funds include:
- Webster Class of 1989 Fund
- Webster Area School Foundation
- Webster Centennial Fund
- David C. Reetz Scholarship Fund
- Dennis L. Dolney Scholarship Fund
- Zoar Church & Cemetery Fund
- Webster United Methodist Church Endowment Fund
- Virginia C. Barry Book of Golden Memories Fund
- Donald C. Reetz Scholarship Fund
- Day County Legacy Fund
- Virginia C. Barry Family Fund
- Glen T. & Anna May Carlis Family Fund
- Bill & Rosanne Bisgard Family Fund
- Webster Alumni Foundation Fund
- Roger & Kathryn Sannes Family Fund
- Day County Arts Council Fund
- Harry & Denice Knapp Family Fund
- Jerald W. Peterson Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Day County Online Education Fund
- Day County Food Shelf & PACH Program Fund
- Gerald M. & Mary Sletten Fund
- Phyllis Hanse Family Funds