Developing Partnership. Building Assets.
The South Dakota Community Foundation is committed to strengthening nonprofits in our state. We recognize the value of committed staff and volunteers and understand the importance of consistent funding to support their work. We want to partner with your supporters in building endowment funds that will help support your mission for years to come.
How it works:
The challenge grants will create new designated funds for each of the successful applicants. If the organization currently has an Agency Endowment fund with us, the new dollars will be used to start a designated companion fund to benefit their organization.
- $20,000 challenge grants will be made available each year for new or existing funds
- Any nonprofit selected to pursue the challenge will receive $1 from the SDCF for every $4 raised. (1:4 match).
- The challenge is to raise $80,000 in two years. If done within the specific timeframe, the $20,000 grant from SDCF will be added to their new fund. This will create a $100,000 endowment to benefit your nonprofit agency.
- Organizations must raise $80,000 in new money
- Timeframe - 2 years (October 1 start date)
- New money must be in account by deadline (no pledges accepted)
- Funds will be designated to benefit an IRS verified nonprofit in South Dakota
This challenge grant opportunity is available only for existing or new SDCF fund partners who demonstrate the capacity to be successful in this endeavor. To learn more about our designated funds, please click here.
How to Apply:
The application process is all online through our eGrant system. Applications for these grants will be accepted May 1 through June 30th each year. Winners will be announced in August. The application will ask you to describe:
- The work of your nonprofit, include service area and population.
- What steps will you take to meet challenge in time provided?
- Explain organization’s commitment to building endowed assets.
- How does your organization plan to build upon your endowment at the conclusion of the grant period?
Click on the links below to help any of these organizations reach its fundraising goal with a donation.
- Black Hills Works - Rapid City
- Boys & Girls Club of Aberdeen Area - Aberdeen
- Boys & Girls Club of Rosebud - Mission
- Children's Home Society - Sioux Falls
- South Dakota Discovery Center - Pierre
- Cheyenne River Youth Project - Eagle Butte
- Feeding South Dakota - Statewide
- Rapid City Arts Council - Rapid City
- Thunder Valley Community Development Corporation - Pine Ridge Reservation
- Verendrye Museum - Ft. Pierre