Developing Partnership. Building Assets.
The South Dakota Community Foundation is committed to strengthening nonprofits in our state. We recognize the value of committed staff and volunteers and understand the importance of consistent funding to support their work. We want to partner with your supporters in building endowment funds that will help support your mission for years to come.
How it works:
Successful recipients will use this challenge grant opportunity to solicit gifts for their new, permanent endowment fund at the South Dakota Community Foundation. If the organization currently has an Agency Endowment fund with us, the new dollars will be used to start a designated companion fund to benefit their organization.
- Successful applicants will receive $1 from the SDCF for every $4 raised. (1:4 match) - up to $20,000.
- To obligate the entire $20,000 challenge match, $80,000 must be raised in two years. Upon the completion of the grant period, the SDCF matching dollars will be added to their new fund.
- The fund balance is invested in perpetuity and 4.5% of the average fair market value is available annually to support the organization's mission.
- Timeframe - 2 years
- Money must be in account by deadline (no pledges accepted)
- Funds will be designated to benefit an IRS verified nonprofit in South Dakota
This challenge grant opportunity is available only for existing or new SDCF fund partners who demonstrate the capacity to be successful in this endeavor. To learn more about our designated funds, please click here.
How to Apply:
The application process is all online through our eGrant system. Applications for these grants will be accepted throughout the year.
The application will ask you to describe:
- The work of your nonprofit, including service area and population.
- What steps will you take to make sure the challenge is met in time provided?
- Explain organization’s commitment to building endowed assets.
- How does your organization plan to build upon your endowment at the conclusion of the grant period?
Click on the links below to help any of these organizations reach its fundraising goal with a donation.
- Abbott House - Mitchell
- Aberdeen Area Humane Society - Aberdeen
- Post 22 Baseball Foundation - Rapid City
- Performing Arts Center of Rapid City
- River Cities Public Transit - Pierre
- Western Dakota Tech Foundation - Rapid City
- Friends of South Dakota Public Broadcasting - Sioux Falls
- Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota - Western South Dakota
- Safe Harbor Foundation - Aberdeen
- South Dakota Hall of Fame - Chamberlain
- Teach for America South Dakota - Mission
- Black Hills Works - Rapid City
- Boys & Girls Club of Aberdeen Area - Aberdeen
- Boys & Girls Club of Rosebud - Mission
- Children's Home Society - Sioux Falls
- South Dakota Discovery Center - Pierre
- Cheyenne River Youth Project - Eagle Butte
- Feeding South Dakota - Statewide
- Rapid City Arts Council - Rapid City
- Thunder Valley Community Development Corporation - Pine Ridge Reservation
- Verendrye Museum - Ft. Pierre